Eazi-Breed CIDR Sheep
Progesterone intravaginal insert
The EAZI-BREED CIDR Sheep Insert is a convenient and effective method for inducing estrus in production animals. EAZI-BREED CIDR Sheep Insert contain the natural hormone progesterone. Intra-vaginally placed CIDR's release progesterone at a controlled rate into the blood stream.
Each bag contains 20 inserts. Made for use with the Eazi-Breed CIDR Applicator, which is sold separately.
Each insert of Eazi-Breed CIDR Sheep contains:
- Progesterone 0.3 grams in molded silicone over a flexible nylon spine
Indications for use
Eazi-Breed CIDR Sheep uses:
Induction of estrus in ewes (sheep) during seasonal anestrus. Seasonal anestrus is when ewes do not have regular estrous cycles outside the natural breeding season. Eazi-Breed CIDR Sheep Sheep Inserts have not been tested in estrous cycling ewes.
In ewes that respond to treatment the onset of estrus generally occurs within 1 to 3 days after removal of the Eazi-Breed CIDR Sheep Insert.
Make sure to have a sufficient number of rams to adequately breed all ewes with an induced estrus. Breeds of rams may vary in libido in the non-breeding season. Therefore a ewe to ram ratio up to 18:1 is recommended for multi-sire situations. For single sire lots, 12:1 for ram lambs and up to 18:1 for yearling rams are recommended.
Administration and dosage
For induction of estrus in ewes (sheep) during seasonal anestrus:
- Administer one EAZI-BREED CIDR Sheep Insert per ewe for 5 days.
- After insert removal, use standard flock breeding procedures to breed ewes at induced estrus.
- Avoid contact with skin by wearing protective gloves when handling inserts.
- Only use the specially designed EAZI-BREED CIDR Sheep Insert Applicator for administration.
- Restrain ewes appropriately prior to administration.
- Wash the applicator in a non-irritating antiseptic solution, and then apply a veterinary obstetrical lubricant to the end of the applicator.
- Push the tail end of the EAZI-BREED CIDR Sheep Insert into the applicator taking care to assure the tail is extending upward through the slot of the applicator and is pointed away from the handle.
- Fold the wings of the EAZI-BREED CIDR Sheep Insert to make it longer and continue to advance the insert into the applicator until it is fully seated with only the tips of the wings protruding from the end of the applicator (see Figure 1).
- Lubricate the protruding tips of the wings of the EAZI-BREED CIDR Sheep Insert with veterinary obstetrical lubricant.
- Clean the exterior of the vulva with disposable tissue.
- Open the lips of the vulva and gently place the loaded applicator through the vulva. The slot in the applicator should face down (see Figure 2).
- Once the loaded applicator is past the vulva slope the applicator slightly upwards (35 - 45° angle) by lowering the handle, and then forward, without forcing, until the applicator is fully inserted or resistance is felt (see Figure 3).
- Squeeze the finger grips within the handle of the applicator to deposit the EAZI-BREED CIDR Sheep Insert in the anterior vagina (see Figure 4) and then pull the applicator backwards to remove it from the vagina.
- With the EAZI-BREED CIDR Sheep Insert correctly placed, with the wings open in the anterior portion of the vagina, the tail of the insert should be visible, pointing downward from the vulva of the ewe.
- Remove EAZI-BREED CIDR Sheep Inserts by pulling, gently but firmly, on the protruding nylon tail.
- EAZI-BREED CIDR Sheep Inserts may reverse direction within the vagina; therefore, if the nylon tail of the insert is not visible on the day of removal, check the vagina to determine if an insert is present.
- Used (removed) EAZI-BREED CIDR Sheep Inserts must be stored in a sealable container until disposed. Sealed bag/container with used EAZI-BREED CIDR Sheep Inserts must be properly disposed in accordance with applicable local, state and Federal regulations.